489 VISA: SKILLED REGIONAL (PROVISIONAL)
This 489 visa is for applicants who are skilled workers who want to live and work in specified regional areas in Australia for up to four years.
Who Is Eligible For The 489 Visa?
Eligibility for this visa comes from being invited to apply for a visa. Once the applicant has received their invitation, they must also have:
- Nomination from an Australian state or territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area
- Nomination in an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupations list
- A suitable skills assessment for that occupation
- Not yet turned 45 years of age at the time of receiving invitation
- Achieved the specified score on the letter of invitation based on the factors in the points-test
- Competent English
What Are The Other Requirements Of The 489 Visa?
There are two pathways for this visa:
- Invited Pathway: The invited pathway will be closed to new applications from 15 November 2019. 10 September 2019 is the last day for intending migrants to receive an invitation to apply for the subclass 489. You can’t submit any EOIs in SkillSelect after this date.
- Extended Stay Pathway – the applicant must hold a provisional visa in subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496
Please note that there will be two new skilled regional provisional visas (subclass 491 and 494) introduced on 16 November 2019. Under these new visas, migrants will be required to live and work in a regional area of Australia for at least three years before they are eligible to apply for permanent residence (subclass 191). These new regional visas will provide greater incentives for regional employers to nominate skilled workers, including priority processing of applications and access to additional skilled occupations. There will also be benefits for students who study in regional Australia and are willing to live and work in regional Australia. Please see updates on our website for any new information.
What Are The Benefits?
This visa allows the applicant and their family to:
- Stay in Australia for up to four years
- Live, work and study in a specified regional area of Australia
- Travel in and out of Australia while the visa is valid
This visa provides a pathway to permanent residence through the Skilled-Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887). Please note that this visa will be replaced by a new permanent visa in November 2022.
Family members of the applicant can be included in the visa application, as long as they fulfil the requirements of being a member of the family unit.
These family members must also show that they meet health and character requirements.
Please refer to the immigration official website for visa application charges.